Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Sense of Community

Being a part of the Ivy League Connection has introduced me to a side of my community I've never seen before. Attending the School Board meeting tonight opened my eyes to the hard work that is being done behind the scenes. I had never been to a School Board meeting before tonight but that is something that I'm going to have to change if I want to play a bigger role in my own education.

I had the honor of representing the Vanderbilt cohorts tonight by giving a short speech in front of the school board members and in front of a camera (eek!). Needless to say, I was very nervous. I tried not to let my apprehensions get the best of me as I spoke about what I'll be doing this summer. My speech included my excitement for my upcoming summer and my plans to give back to my community after my trip to the east coast. The Ivy League Connections has presented me with a unique opportunity that I will spend the rest of my life trying to find the best way to repay them. I know that I will gain unforgettable memories and will forever remember being a part of this organization. 


Being at the school board meetings with all of this year's ILC members brought a sense of community within all of us. I vividly remember a stranger stopping me while the meeting was on hold for the group photo to tell me how proud she was of all of the ILC members for being great representatives for our district. This made me feel so proud of everyone and their accomplishments that led them to get this far into the Ivy League Connections.  

The meeting came to an end for us after we all gathered together for a group photo. I loved the feeling of togetherness I felt as all of the ILC members gathered together to immortalize a moment in their lives that they will hopefully never forget. I know I won't. 

Don's photography skills are impeccable

No comments:

Post a Comment