Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Days Have Turned To Hours

The past few days have consisted of me counting down to this very moment and in just a couple of hours, I will be on my very first plane. It seems as if the closer the takeoff day is, the longer the days seem to drag out. To say it feels surreal is an understatement. I really don't know how to feel at the moment. I'm feeling so many emotions at the same time. It's really overwhelming to say the least. I'm nervous, scared, excited, anxious, paranoid, and a list of many other things. The one emotion that I'm undoubtedly feeling is happiness. I'm seriously on cloud nine because I'll be able to experience this amazing adventure.

I packed about a week early just to satisfy the feeling of paranoia. I feel like forgetting something important is the worst thing that could happen at this point. So packing so early helped make me feel less stressed. Also, packing early gave me to opportunity to add anything I remember later on. Shanti and I were constantly face-timing and calling each other trying to plan out how to pack. I actually had to watch a Youtube video on the most efficient way to pack because I'm so inexperienced with traveling. While packing, I had to keep in mind that we had a 50 pound weight limit. I was sort of absentmindedly picking out my favorite t-shirts, shorts, pants, skirts, and dresses from my closet, that when I weighed my luggage, I was so surprised to see that it only weighed 35 pounds! (this is me packing heavy)
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step"
                                                    -Lao Tzu                                            
Alright enough of me packing. I'm so excited to be in New York, DC, Philadelphia, and Nashville for the first time. I hope to make the best of it. My sister even told me "if you don't make the most of New York, I'm gonna kill you." Of course she was kidding (I think) but I wouldn't be happy with myself if I didn't make the best of this whole experience.

3 comments:

  1. I don’t get this--you write about how inexperienced you are at traveling and Shanti writes that she relied on you because of your experience as a traveler. Something’s not right here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanti was actually talking about how her sister was an experienced traveler, not me. I could see how you could be confused though.

      Delete
  2. Chiamaka..... I'm too happy for words. You are going to the East Coast! Now let's await and see where your journey will lead you.

    ReplyDelete